Skip to main content

Hello World!

Come with us now on a journey through time and space where I undertake an adventure in EDSE12024: Digital Pedagogies in Secondary Schools at CQUniversity.

I'm a "mature age" student, so if it's anything like cheese I hope to continue improving with age. Technically, I'm a Xennial - a generational hybrid. I had an analogue childhood (where the TV remote was still wired to the television), that developed into digital adolescence (where only the affluent could afford a computer and dial-up modem in their household). 

In Year 4, I can vividly recall there being one computer on a trolley being shared amongst the entire school. Mr Ronan entered coordinates on a computer game to try and digitally bomb our opponent. It was fascinating! By high school, I learned to touch-type on electronic typewriters as "typing" was still a school subject in Years 9 and 10. Oh, how I aspired to become a secretary! By the time I was in Year 11, the school had two computer labs with school subjects such as "Practical Computer Methods" and "Secretarial Studies" were offered. I never became a secretary.

In my adult life, I have mostly worked in the health industry where technology is the foundation of my role. I have a basic understanding of operating systems, software programs, and browsers but I wouldn't say that I'm an expert by any means! Now I am of the age where I desire to change the direction of my career and have enrolled to study secondary education.

This blog is the space where I will be reflecting on what I learn about technology (ICT) in education.






Comments

  1. Hi Linda! I feel like you and I are very much on the same page (or is this saying considered "web page" in this day and age...) regarding technology and our experiences. I recall the days when to watch a film at school, whether for educational purposes or baby sitting at the end of term, we wheeled a TV in on a trolley, probably only 1 of a handful, and popped a VHS in. We'd be lucky if we had a lightly-coloured painted wall in the classroom so we could get the overhead projector out, you know, for a bit of technology exposure. In saying this, I wouldn't trade growing up in that time for now, for quid's. I look forward to reading more on your blog. I like your writing style!
    - Bec :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, your blog is looking great. It is amazing how far technology has come. You blog made me laugh, I grew up with the kind of tv where you had to run the knob to change channels and hold the rabbit ears just the right way to see 'Blue Heelers' on a Tuesday night. Now, everything is streaming and flowing so much freely. And the next generation are fascinating, I had a beautiful young checkout assistant help me tap and pay over the weekend with my phone. And maybe that's a strategy...young people like to teach, to show off their skills and it only takes an opportunity. :)
    Kind regards Cianna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment